Monday, September 28, 2009

Facebook Friends Ain't All What They Seem


So, I took a bit of a different approach to this exercise. Rather than make something, I thought about what in my life is more than what it seems, and might surprise me if I peel back its layers. And I started thinking about my Facebook friends, or "collection" as my sister calls them.

A lot of people on FB have a lot of "friends". But how many of those "friends" are actual friends? I decided to give my list a closer review.

Out of 184 peeps, I would count 13 of them as my close actual friends that I actually care about. That's a measly 7%! Most of the rest are old friends from high school and childhood. Some are friends of friends that I've partied with. Some are just guys that liked my profile pic, LOL.

And there's even one creepy guy that keeps adding people from my class that doesn't appear in not one single yearbook. And yet I keep him on my list!

The point of what I'm saying is that even this "friend" list represents things not being what they seem. I think it says a lot about people, and it basically comes down to their need to belong. Even though I'm not close with 93% of these people, I still like having them around!

No comments:

Post a Comment