Monday, October 5, 2009

Janice + Senji = Bliss


For the bliss portion of this exercise, I decided to bond with my dog, Senji. First, we took a long walk along the canal near my house. As the warm weather is dwindling, this was a good excuse to be out in the fresh air. I didn't take my phone or ipod, just left with me, my dog, and a key. We didn't encounter any people or any dogs, not even the turtles were out that day. It was just me and my boy, which is pretty much perfection.

When we came home, I spent almost two hours grooming him. This was surprisingly the more 'blissful' part for me. Even though we were back in the house, and this task seems to be more of a chore, it was very relaxing after the activity of the walk.

I heard once that things you do on autopilot can be very meditative. A good indicator of this is when you find yourself finishing something and not being conscious of all the individual parts along the way. Like when you are driving and you don't directly think about each turn you need to make, you just find yourself at home without noticing each leg of the trip. Or when you start to wash the dishes and all of a sudden they are done, because you've done it so many times that you don't need to concentrate on each tiny step.

Anyhow, this is how I felt when I was brushing Senji's coat. I was aware of doing it, but not directly focused on it. I let my mind wander to other things in my life. By the time I was done, I had a beautiful dog and a relaxed mind. And a giant mountain of hair.

I included a pic of the end result. Just because it's so damn cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment