Monday, December 7, 2009

Second Life

If I had a second life, I would seek the opposite of what I my 'first' life. As a twin, I've spent my whole life known as a double. I've been one of two. I have always wondered what it would be like to be a singleton. It seems like I would enjoy some anonymity, as people tend to notice twins. I also feel like as a twin, I've always had someone who always knows what I'm up to, what I'm doing, every last detail of every last thing. I think a second life would be an opportunity to not answer to anyone who isn't going to see through me anyway. Answering to someone who knows you about as well as two people can know each other sometimes leaves no room for escape.

For me, this sounds like a reprieve from my real life. It's not just that I would shake my twin, I could live with some freedom. I like the idea of being a traveler, without close bonds to any one place in the world. It would be liberating to be able to pack up and move on when a particular place no longer serves me. That's not possible in my life, but maybe in a second one.

No comments:

Post a Comment